The Las Vegas Temple Walk was an unforgettable experience for the youth and adults, pushing us to our limits and testing our endurance. As we embarked on this challenging journey, we kept plugging along, even when exhaustion set in and doubt crept into our minds.
Along the way, the group demonstrated their commitment to the project by collecting trash and helping to beautify the community. We were also able to distribute food and water to those in need along the way. Amid the physical exertion, we managed to bond and have fun together, making it an even more memorable event.
When we finally reached the temple grounds and sat on the lawn, an overwhelming sense of accomplishment washed over us. Exhausted yet elated, we had conquered our doubts and grown stronger, both individually and as a group. The Las Vegas Temple Walk was truly an awe-inspiring experience for all involved.
Here’s the plan we used in case anyone else wants to do it (and you should).
Objective: To strengthen the youth’s faith and determination by walking across Las Vegas, a total of 15 miles, to the temple on the other side of town.
Pacing: We planned on a steady three miles per hour, or 20 minute mile, walking pace, we ended up with a 24 minute overall mile, which included taking breaks at each stop and a longer lunch break. We were not going “fast” nor were we going “slow,” everyone was just… walking along.
Preparation and Materials:
- Trash bags
- Trash collectors to maintain cleanliness throughout the walk
- Food and water for distribution
- Backpacks for carrying supplies
- Pack lunches or arrange for meal pick-up.
- 6:30 AM – Meet at a designated location and load backpacks
- 6:45 AM – Opening remarks and spiritual thoughts
- 7:00 AM – Drive to the LVAC on North Decatur
- 7:15 AM – Begin the walk, with designated stops along the way for rest, snack breaks, and spiritual thoughts
- 1:15 PM – Arrive at the temple
- 1:30 PM – Drive back to the starting location
- 2:00 PM – Dismissal
Spiritual Thoughts and Themes:
- Baptismal covenant
- Building spiritual bridges
- Preparing to go to the temple
- Be prepared to enter the temple
- “I can do all things in Christ which strengtheneth me.”
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow vehicles to provide support and supplies
- Hydration monitors to ensure everyone stays hydrated
- Spiritual thought leaders at each designated stop
- Granola bars
- Beef jerky
- Trash bags
- Bottled water
Leave a Reply