- Name of restaurant:
Pei Wei Asian Diner
1311 West Sunset Road
Henderson, NV 89014
- Date/meal period you visited the restaurant: Friday, February 6, 2009, dinner
- Style of service – fast dining, casual dress
- A general listing of the specialty food/beverage items on the menu
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Crab Wontons
- Pei Wei Spring Rolls
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Dan Dan Noodles
- Lo Mein Noodles
- Pad Thai
- Fried Rice
- Pei Wei Spicy
- Sweet & Sour
- Manderin Kung Pao
- A list of what foods/beverages you tasted during your visit
- Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Lo Mein Noodles with Chicken
- Your general thoughts/observations about the foods, ambiance and service:
I really enjoyed the experience. The restaurant had a very good ambiance due to the bright red colors on the black backdrop. The menu was very easy to order from as it explained each dish in great detail. The food was extremely tasteful although I would think that it has been greatly Americanized. I had the Sweet & Sour Chicken for my meal and it was full of fried peppers and pineapple with a nice sized helping of brown rice. My wife ordered the Lo Mein Noodles with Chicken which was also very flavorful.
- From your personal experience and/or what you have learned in class, did the restaurant seem culturally representative or not?
The decorations seemed to represent the Asian culture, although there weren’t any people of Asian descent working in the restaurant. The meals probably derived some a very Asian food but I also doubt that the meals taste like the original meals. They did give us fortune cookies with our meal which is as Asian as it gets.
- What did you learn about this culture and their foods from your visit?
Well unfortunately because the restaurant seems to be very Americanized to me, I can’t say that I learned a lot about their culture. Other than the fact that it seems to easily be able to take on an American taste that really makes the meal taste just how we want it. The food must be pretty adaptable to different cultures just by changing the recipe a little.
- Would you return to the restaurant in the future? Why or why not?
I plan on returning to this restaurant again and again. The food was excellent and a much better choice than it’s possible competitor Panda Express. The food was of a high quality, way more than you would expect for a fast food place. The meals were delivered to our table in a very short time and we were able to eat and leave and not feel rushed. I definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone.