- Name of restaurant:
El Jefe’s Mexican Restaurant
9925 S. Eastern Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89183
- Date/meal period you visited the restaurant: Friday, January 23, 2008, dinner
- Style of service – fine dining, casual dress
- A general listing of the specialty food/beverage items on the menu
- Spiced Salmon Filet
- Chicken Mole Enchiladas
- Lemonade and Soda
- Wide selection of Alcoholic beverages
- A list of what foods/beverages you tasted during your visit
- Cheese Enchiladas
- Hard and Soft Chicken Taco
- Burrito Mojado
- Bean Dip
- Your general thoughts/observations about the foods, ambiance and service:
The restaurant was extremely well decorated. The lighting was soft and the people were very nice there. I was expecting to eat the kind of Mexican food you’re used to getting at places like Roberto’s taco shop, but I was pleasantly surprised with the class of food served at the restaurant. It was definitely more Tex/Mex style than authentic Mexican food. The guacamole dip was amazing along with the bean dip. Those were probably the favorites of the night.
- From your personal experience and/or what you have learned in class, did the restaurant seem culturally representative or not?
The decorations were very Mexico oriented. From the sombreros hanging on the walls, down to the tile on the floor it had a very authentic feel. There were a few Hispanic workers there but not as many as would be expected. If that restaurant was placed in Mexico it would be one of the nicest restaurants around I’m sure.
- What did you learn about this culture and their foods from your visit?
I learned about a whole new side of Mexican food. Prior to my visit I was very used to the ma and pa restaurants that serve real authentic food and nobody speaks English. This was very Americanized and the taste of the food was also different. It showed me that even the simplest of foods can be served in a very spectacular and different way.
- Would you return to the restaurant in the future? Why or why not?
I would definitely return to this restaurant in the future mostly because of how nice it seemed inside. I was also very pleased with the quality of food and the way it was prepared. The food came out on time and we didn’t seem rushed. It was a very pleasing experience and I would recommend anyone to try it out.